Jazzoula, Missoula’s 13th annual celebration of jazz, features five nights of great instrumental and vocal jazz in a relaxed nightclub setting, 6:30 p.m. April 17-21 at St. Anthony’s Parish.
Four or five bands, including The University of Montana Jazz Program combos, perform each night (25 groups in all). Among the highlights this year: the inimitable pianist Jim Driscoll will be honored Thursday during Hall of Fame night; and two veteran jazz artists appear at Jazzoula for the first time – trombonist/composer Naomi Moon Siegel and trombonist/vocalist M.J. Williams.
Returning favorites include Jodi Marshall, the Basement Boyz, Josh Farmer, Canta Brasil featuring singer Magda Chaney, Captain Wilson Conspiracy, David Horgan, Kimberlee Carlson and Ron Meissner, Chuck Florence, Bob Packwood, Eden Atwood and many more.
Here’s the schedule:
Monday, April 17:
- UM Jazz: Sloppy Joe Jones, with Bryan Tremper & UM friends
- Missoula’s Youngest Divas
- Naomi Moon Siegel and Kate Olson, trombone/sax extraordinaire
- Josh Farmer
Tuesday, April 18:
- The StarLighters, featuring Edie Smith & four-piece sax section
- Airmail Special with Chuck Florence, clarinet; David Horgan, guitar; Jeff Stickney, trumpet; Bob LedBetter, vibes; Pete Hand, bass; Ed Stalling, drums.
- Canta Brasil, featuring Magda Chaney vocals
- Jodi Marshall, the Grande Dame of piano.
- Lance Boyd with UM Jazz, including Eli Wynn, Lhanna Writesel, Finn Carroll, Haydn Halsted
Wednesday, April 19:
- Night Blooming Jasmine (Django jazz)
- UM’s Bad Platitude, with Emily Silks
- Eden Atwood
- Chuck Florence and Sam McKenzie
- Owen Ross
Thursday, April 20: Missoula Blues and Jazz Society Hall of Fame Award night:
- The Lance Boyd B Jazz Sextet with Becca Speranza, Levi Brown, Sam McKenzie, Ross Strauser
- Melody Anderson
- The Missoula Blues and Jazz Society inducts pianist Jim Driscoll as Jazzoula 2017 Hall of Fame honoree, followed by a solo performance by the artist and The Jim Driscoll trio with Pete Hand on bass and Ed Stalling, drums
- Basement Boyz, featuring Stalling, Hand, Driscoll, Horgan and Jeff Stickney on trumpet, with guest vocalist Lyndsey Strom.
- The Stephane Gariepy Quintet with DR Halsell, guitar; Steve Kalling, bass; Milan House, piano; Ed Stalling, drums; and Gariepy on saxes.
Friday, April 21:
- Kimberlee Carlson/Ron Meissner Jazz Quintet
- Bob Packwood, solo piano
- MJ Williams with Beth Lo & David Horgan
- The Absent Wilson Conspiracy featuring Steve Kalling, bass; Tanner Fruit, sax; DR Halsell, guitar; Ed Stalling, drum set; and a special guest horn player.
Doors open 6 p.m. with food and a full bar at St. Anthony Parish Hall “Nightclub,” 217 Tremont, Missoula. Be sure to Like and keep checking the Jazzoula Facebook page for updates/ changes.
Tickets, available at Rockin Rudy’s (406-542-0077) and at the door, are $10-$12 or $25-$30 for a full-festival pass.